memory stamp: mt manunggal

roll the films back eighteen years ago.

this is mount manunggal in all its glory, standing more than a thousand meters above sea level.

it was after my first climb in 1995 when i fell in love with the place, and i did came back year after year -  on a weekend closest to march seventeen, where the annual manunggal climb happens.
this event is celebrated by every cebuano mountain climber to commemorate the death anniversary of the late Philippine President Ramon Magsaysay.

too bad cameras back then were not as common right now, i could have captured the place in all it's very natural state.

most of the climbs were unforgettable, and one of those climbs i shared a peak with my best buds Acel and Ryan with a breath taking view behind, though shivering in the morning fog.

i cannot remember anymore the year when i last climbed in march. but i do remember that it was the first time i went without any buddy.
i went alone and just followed a small group to the night ascent.
with me was only a small backpack, water bottle, sleeping bag, but no food and tent.

i was in an adventurous mode.

when we reached the top, an acquaintance asked me who was with me, as he must have seen me before with my friends on the previous climbs.
i told him , no one.
he laughed at me invited me to have dinner with their group.
because i had no cooking and eating utensils with me, they lent me theirs.
i got lucky and was handed a big aluminum pan for my dinner plate.
food was shared by everyone that night by the campfire, me with my bit Al Pan heaping it up with mixed food i cannot remember which -as it was too dark to identify.

i made a few friends that night, which eventually was also the launching of the Pundok Habagat. so other groups of were there as well to celebrate!

as for the tent problem, a lot of my new found friends had offered me a space in their small sleeping coops, so problem solved! i just curled up in my comfy sleeping bag and the next morning i woke up to the smell of coffee being heated up from a pot.

it was then that i thought about a minimalist life.

i thought hey, i could live like this.
i really do not need a lot of stuff to make me happy.
it's more important that i am with good company and good times are always guaranteed.

well, i miss those days when my life is so curiously carefree.
the corporate world has turned me into a fearful and anxious miss-always-right b*tch.
sigh.

so.
hopefully i am able to get back into my trekking mood again, and by next March that is.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

around the globe in two weeks

Rome, Italy